This course is for all building professionals: tradespeople, site supervisors, general contractors builders, and construction managers, who will be involved in the construction of Passive House building. This course can also be appropriate for architects, MEP and structural engineers, developers, and owners’ representatives.
Certified Passive House Tradesperson (CPHT) Training Schedule
NAPHN currently offers the CPHT training online, in collaboration with our partner, Emu Systems.
You can contact [email protected] for any and all inquires.
Partner Trainings: ONLINE
JAN 7 – FEB 18 | APR 1 – MAY 13 | JUN 24 – AUG 5 | SEP 30 – NOV 11
Certified Passive House Tradesperson (CPHT) Training
What is a CPHT?
CPHT = Certified Passive House Tradesperson. The CPHT training ensures participants are equipped with the necessary framework and interdisciplinary skills to effectively convey the international Passive House (PH) standard. After passing the exam, CPHTs are given membership and are listed in the database on the International Passive House Institute (PHI) website for 5 years.
An online course that teaches practical Passive House building strategies with theory – with a combination of in-class exercises and hands-on workshop experience, incorporating actual building of Passive House details relevant to the US construction industry. Topics include:
- Passive House criteria and principles
- Construction process and quality assurance
- Thermal insulation and thermal bridge-free construction
- Windows and doors
- Ventilation and heating and cooling systems
- Building envelope specialization
- Unit 1: Passive House Basics
- Unit 2: Passive House Economics in North America
- Unit 3: Thermal Insulation
- Unit 4: Thermal Bridges
- Unit 5: Windows + Transparent Components
- Unit 6: Existing Buildings
- Unit 7: Air Tightness and Moisture Management
- Unit 8: Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery
- Unit 9: Efficient Heating, Cooling and Domestic Hot Water
- Unit 10: Quality Assurance
The exam is a multiple-choice, structured in three parts:
• Passive House Basics – 45 minutes
• Building Envelope – 45 minutes
• Building Services – 45 minutes
The first section, Passive House Basics, is required. Each participant may choose to take the exam specifically for Envelopes, Services, or both.
Additional Information about Tradesperson Courses in the U.S.
Generally speaking, PHI sets Tradesperson exams in Feb, May, and Nov, of each year, and these are the months when it is most likely a training will be available.