The certification of a Passive House through the Passive House Institute or any of its accredited Building Certifiers offers enhanced quality assurance. The vast experience of these certifiers benefits designers throughout the planning process whereas the certification itself provides evidence of the building’s quality. Many (but far from all) Certified Passive Houses can be found in this global database. All buildings are candidates for certification, including Residential Buildings, Non-Residential Buildings, and Substantial Renovations
And there are several certification levels and sets of criteria:
- Passive House Classic, Passive House Plus (with renewables)
- Passive House Premium (with more renewables)
- EnerPHit (retrofits)
- Low Energy Building (near misses)
North American Certifiers Circle
The North American Certifiers Circle (NACC) is a group of organizations actively certifying buildings to the international Passive House Standards (Classic, Plus, Premium, and EnerPHit) in North America. The NACC works cooperatively to serve the public. Download the two-page flyer HERE.
The Advantages of Certification
- Independent Review: Review services provided by a certifier are separate and distinct from those of a Passive House consultant or designer. This ensures an independent and objective assessment as well as additional quality assurance that benefits all parties involved.
- Avoid False Starts: By working with a certifier from the start of the project the project can benefit from the experience and institutional knowledge of the certifier, avoiding rookie mistakes that need to be undone later.
- Professional Development for Project Teams: The review of energy calculations and design and construction documentation through the lens of experts in high-performance building, allows other members of the project team to gain a new perspective.
- Assurance for the Project Team: Owners, consultants, designers, and builders alike can breathe easier knowing their energy calculations and related details have been checked and verified before construction begins.
- Protects the Passive House Standard Difference: Rigorous quality assurance maintains the integrity of the world’s highest building energy-efﬁciency standard, ensuring that certification remains a notable distinction.
US & Canada Based Members
- CertiPHiers Cooperative
- Home Energy Services
- Mizu Passive House Consulting
- Peel Passive House Consulting
- RDH Building Science Inc.
- Steven Winter Associates
- Stich Consulting & Design
Europe Based Members