Live-Online CPHD Training
Get ready to design buildings to meet the high-performance needs of the future.
The Certified Passive House Designer(Consultant) Training is a core course within The Passive House Network’s educational offerings. This course dives into what makes Passive House buildings tick and builds a foundation of knowledge and skill to integrate Passive House building design standards into any building project. This course is specifically designed to teach the international Passive House Standard (PHI) to American professionals in the U.S. construction industry using IP units, and is required prior to taking the CPHD/C professional certification exam.
In this course, you’ll explore the passive house principles and how they relate to, and build off of, each other. Learn about the performance-based standards that make Passive House buildings better than standard building codes because they work in all climates around the world, can be applied to any construction types, and allow flexibility in approaches.
Why attend this course?
- Gain a strong foundation in passive house principles that can influence all your building projects, including single-family, multi-family, mixed-use, commercial, and industrial.
- Develop the skills needed to calculate for high-performance buildings.
- Explore case studies of passive house buildings from a variety of projects, and learn best practices and design tips for different conditions.
- Learn Passive House standards and calculations using Imperial units rather than metric.
- Learn the core requirements for all certified passive house designer and consultants so that you can take the certification exam.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
Who Should Attend
This course was developed for a wide range of student profiles include architects, MEP and structural engineers, facade, energy and sustainability consultants, contractors, developers, policymakers, regulators, and more.
What Participants Are Saying
The Live-Online course includes online supplemental materials for students to check their knowledge and review content.
Ask questions and get immediate answers from trainers. Learn with your peers and discuss passive house.
5-Day Course Outline
- Day 1: Introduction to Passive House principles and economics, with an in-depth look at enclosure insulation & thermal bridging: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 2: Enclosure airtightness and windows: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 3: Ventilation, heating, cooling, dehumidification and domestic hot water: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 4: PHPP energy model and calculating building energy balance.
- Day 5: Retrofits, certifications and exam preparation.
Things to Know
Course Completion Requirements
For PHN On-Demand courses all lessons, topics, and quizzes must be marked complete; any required webinars must be attended; AND the post-training survey must be completed.
For In-Person & Live-Online single day courses, 100% attendance is required to receive a course completion certificate.
For In-Person & Live-Online multi-day courses,no more than X hours can be missed to receive a course completion certificate.
Continuing Education Credits
Courses with continuing education credits (AIA or PHI) are noted in the course details section.
AIA credits for Live-Online and In-Person Courses will be reported to AIA by PHN if a participant provides their AIA number during registration. All other participants can use the certificate of completion to report continuing education credits either to AIA, or other agencies that recognize the AIA CE credits.
PHI credits are self-reporting. Find out a courses PHI course number. Report PHI credits.
Live-Online and On-Demand courses require a personal computer or laptop with a good internet connection speeds and audio listening capabilities. A web-camera is optional but preferred for Live-Online sessions.