This video series will provide participants with an introduction to thermal-bridge simulation and analysis using the free LBNL THERM software.
Thermal Bridge free construction is a core principle in Passive House design. Thermal bridges impact energy efficiency, heat loss, and building occupant comfort, as well as impact a buildings resiliency.
In this specialized course, you will be introduced to thermal-bridge simulation and analysis using the free LBNL THERM software. Learn the basics of the software with a walk-though from installation, library setup and then modeling several example conditions within THERM.
See how the instructor works through screen-casts. Model along with the instructor through the process and concepts of model sample details. Simulate a variety of thermal bridging case examples from simple wall designs to more complex details. Most examples focus on wood-frame construction and remain relatively simple.
Why attend this course?
- Develop your skills in using THERM modelling software
- Model Assemblies, Junctions, Windows, and Ground thermal bridges
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Introduction to Thermal Bridging
- Downloading and Installing THERM
- Drawing in Therm
- Running a Simulation
- Intro to U-Values and Heat Loss
- Intro to Assemblies
- Floor – Geometry Modeling, Assigning Materials, Assigning Boundary Conditions, and Running the Simulation
- Wall – Geometry Modeling, Assigning Materials, Dealing with Air Layers, and Assigning Boundary Conditions
- Ceiling – Geometry Modeling, Assigning Materials, Assigning BC, and Simulating
- Intro to 1-Element Psi-Values
- Column – Geometry Modeling, Dealing with Air Spaces, Calculating Psi-Values
- Corner – Intro to 2-Element Psi-Values, and Modelings, Materials, BCs
- Eave – Geometry Modeling, Building Equivalent Conductivity Materials, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Intro to Window Psi-Values
- Sill – Geometry Modeling, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Jamb – Geometry Modeling, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Head – Geometry Modeling, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Intro to Ground Heat Loss
- Simulating Ground Heat Loss
- Footing – Calculate B’, Geometry Modeling, Materials, BC, Simulating, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Learn about the competition, next steps and more.
Who Should Attend
This course was developed for Passive House professionals who have complete the Certified Passive House Designer training or professionals with similar understanding to core Passive House knowledge and skills. Certified Passive House Professionals can receive PHI continuing education credits.
PHN Members Save
Members of The Passive House Network receive up to 20% off on PHN courses plus additional benefits.
A professional level membership pays for itself when registering for the Certified Passive House Designer course. Students and Emerging Professionals memberships also available.
Existing members login to see your savings!Become a Member
Which course option is right for you?
This course is currently only available on-demand. Have a group? Contact us for group options.
Things to Know
Course Completion Requirements
For PHN On-Demand courses all lessons, topics, and quizzes must be marked complete; any required webinars must be attended; AND the post-training survey must be completed.
For In-Person & Live-Online single day courses, 100% attendance is required to receive a course completion certificate.
For In-Person & Live-Online multi-day courses,no more than 2 hours can be missed to receive a course completion certificate.
Continuing Education Credits
Courses with continuing education credits (AIA or PHI) are noted in the course details section.
AIA credits for Live-Online and In-Person Courses will be reported to AIA by PHN if a participant provides their AIA number during registration. All other participants can use the certificate of completion to report continuing education credits either to AIA, or other agencies that recognize the AIA CE credits.
PHI credits are self-reporting. Find out a courses PHI course number. Report PHI credits.
Live-Online and On-Demand courses require a personal computer or laptop with a good internet connection speeds and audio listening capabilities. A web-camera is optional but preferred for Live-Online sessions. Preferred web browsers are Firefox, Chrome, or Chromium-based browsers.
In-Person courses do not require laptops or other devices, unless specifically mentioned. Although a laptop, or other note-taking equipment (pen and paper) are encouraged.
The PHN learning platform provides instant access to almost all On-Demand courses and some Live-Online courses.
Education & Training FAQs
For more information about PHN education, training, and courses, check out our FAQs. (Coming soon)
Want to bring one of our courses to your company or organization? Many of our courses are ready to be delivered In-Person, Live-Online, or On-Demand to groups and teams. For more information, including group pricing and quotes, please contact [email protected]