This video series will provide participants with an introduction to thermal-bridge simulation and analysis using the free LBNL THERM software.
Starting at $595
This course will provide participants with an introduction to thermal-bridge simulation and analysis using the free LBNL THERM software.
Walk through an entire sequence of installation, library setup, and modeling of several example conditions in the LBNL THERM software. It also features screen-casts of the THERM software and a ‘model-along’ style where the instructor takes you through the process and concepts as they model sample details.
A variety of example cases will be used. Start with a very simple wall and progress into more complex details. For the most part, the examples will focus on wood-frame construction and remain relatively simple.
See the Course Info > Topics below for details breakdown of course topics.
- Introduction & THERM setup
- Introduction to Thermal Bridging
- Downloading and Installing THERM
- Drawing in Therm
- Running a Simulation
- Intro to U-Values and Heat Loss
- Intro to Assemblies
- Floor – Geometry Modeling, Assigning Materials, Assigning Boundary Conditions, and Running the Simulation
- Wall – Geometry Modeling, Assigning Materials, Dealing with Air Layers, and Assigning Boundary Conditions
- Ceiling – Geometry Modeling, Assigning Materials, Assigning BC, and Simulating
- Intro to 1-Element Psi-Values
- Column – Geometry Modeling, Dealing with Air Spaces, Calculating Psi-Values
- Corner – Intro to 2-Element Psi-Values, and Modelings, Materials, BCs
- Eave – Geometry Modeling, Building Equivalent Conductivity Materials, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Intro to Window Psi-Values
- Sill – Geometry Modeling, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Jamb – Geometry Modeling, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Head – Geometry Modeling, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Intro to Ground Heat Loss
- Simulating Ground Heat Loss
- Footing – Calculate B’, Geometry Modeling, Materials, BC, Simulating, and Calculating Psi-Value
- Closing & Next Steps
- Learn about the competition, next steps and more.
This course is best taken after completing a Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant training course.
Registration for this course gives you 180 days of access (6 months) to complete approximately 14 hours of content.
Contact [email protected] for any inquires.