Are you a tradesperson interested in learning more about Passive House standards? Register for our Introduction to Passive House Trades course and take your first step towards high-performance construction.
Starting at $150
NAPHN’s Introduction to Passive House Trades course will broadly cover the following topics: Passive House basics, review typical construction types, windows and installation, air barriers and insulation and new, innovative PH products. It is crucial when working on Passive House buildings to properly install components, understand how to correctly implement design details and assess and plan for the current and future performance of the building. This live online course is accompanied by mini video tutorials for various PH product installations, plus incorporates actual building of Passive House details relevant to the US construction industry.
After attending this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the five key principles of Passive House projects.
- Summarize typical materials and methods used for insulation and air barriers on Passive House projects.
- Explain common problem areas relating to the building envelope along with ways to avoid those problems.
- Identify thermal bridge locations and recommend products that could be used for mitigation.
- Identify the typical wall system types used in wood framed construction.
- Explain challenging details seen on wood and steel framed construction projects and propose solutions on how these can be overcome.
- Describe the common approaches for air barrier application and insulation installation on residential and commercial projects.
- Summarize the components of high-performance windows and proper installation techniques.
- Explain systems that can be used to provide space conditioning and ventilation on Passive House projects.
- Describe the importance of well sealed ductwork and other components needed to achieve a properly working ventilation system.
- Identify the types of domestic hot water systems available and how these can be optimized during the design phase of the project.
- Describe how lighting selections and lighting controls impact electrical energy usage on a project.
- Summarize the differences between quality control vs. quality assurance, along with attributes of each concept.
- Identify defects from construction site photos and propose solutions for correction.
- Explain how blower door testing is conducted and identify the air tightness limits required for Passive House.
- Describe the documentation requirements needed for Passive House certification and identify how it overlaps with the overall quality assurance process.
You will need:
- a computer with internet connection
Introduction to Passive House Trades Sessions
Contact [email protected] for any inquires.