Live-Online CPHD Training
A 5-day course preparing students for Passive House design and certification.
Starting at $1650
This is a core Passive House training and is appropriate for a wide range of building professionals and stakeholders that want to know the guts of what makes Passive House tick and build a foundation of knowledge to integrate Passive House to meet your personal goals. Student profiles include architects, MEP and structural engineers, facade, energy and sustainability consultants, contractors, developers, policymakers, regulators, and more. For a full course description & pricing, see below.
Certified Passive House Designer or Consultant Training
NAPHN’s Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant course is the premier training program for Passive House building professionals working on residential, institutional and commercial projects. Supported by a 25+ year history of global technical leadership by the Passive House Institute – this course is specifically designed to teach the international Passive House Standard (PHI) to American professionals in the U.S. construction industry.
Do you need more flexibility with dates and times? Consider the CPHD On-Demand platform.
- 5 days of online live instruction
- 7 additional e-learning modules
- Thorough grounding of critical aspects of Passive House design and construction
- Calculations in IP, Imperial Units, rather than metric.
- Receive a 5-year registration as an internationally accredited Certified Passive House Designer or Consultant after passing exam
- For all building professionals: architects, MEP and structural engineers, builders and construction managers and more
- Accredited by the AIA for 35 LU/HSWs*
*These LU/HSW credits are accepted for continuing education credits, for engineers, in most states (e.g. New York). Check your local state’s acceptance of LU/HSW credits towards your state’s continuing education criteria.
5-Day Topic Outline:
- Day 1: Introduction to Passive House principles and economics, with an in-depth look at enclosure insulation & thermal bridging: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 2: Enclosure airtightness and windows: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 3: Ventilation, heating, cooling, dehumidification and domestic hot water: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 4: PHPP energy model and calculating building energy balance.
- Day 5: Retrofits, certifications and exam preparation.
- Digital manual (2 parts)
- Augments live session, for note-taking
- Available to download prior to training
- PHPP software: Imperial units (provided through 475)
- Available to download: the current digital version of the PHPP energy model + additional materials in zip file
- A hard copy PHPP manual (shipped US mail)
- PHPP is registered to participants for use in class – and any subsequent professional work
- Student’s unique PHPP Registration number is emailed with software download
Online modules reinforce, and expand on, the classroom work. Includes quizzes and design assignment which help with exam preparations. Participants can complete at their pace. Access to the platform is provided through our partner PHA.
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Spot the Mistakes
- Module 3: True or False
- Module 4: Energy Calculations
- Module 5: Economics
- Module 6: Designing a Passive House
- Module 7: PHPP + Units
- A computer with internet access
- Excel (for PHPP use)
Currently, we are offering an online exam in conjunction with our designated CPHD trainings. See here for our CPHD online exam schedule.
The in-person exam occurs four times each year globally: on a day in March, in June, in October, and in December. These will resume when the current COVID-19 health guidelines have shifted.
The designation “Designer” is reserved for architects, engineers and similarly specialized building professionals. The “Consultants” designation is for non-specialized professionals and others. A more detailed guideline can be found here.)
- Full Course Package: $2,150.00 – 5 day in-class, plus online modules, PHPP software, exam & 5-year professional registration.
- Full Course Package/NAPHN Member: $1,900.00 – Full course package is available at a discounted rate for NAPHN Members.
- No Exam Package: $1,850.00 – 5 day in-class, plus online modules and PHPP software. (Exam & 5-year professional registration will be a separate registration and $600 charge.)
- No Exam Package/NAPHN Member: $1,650.00 – No Exam Package is available at a discounted rate to NAPHN members.
There are Financial Incentives available to students meeting specific criteria.
- Connecticut – 50% reimbursement – Download application
- Massachusetts – 50% reimbursement – Download application
- NAPHN Education Fellowship for Black (& BIPOC) architects and engineers
For more information about all the Financial Incentives webpage, or click on the above links to find out more or download the applications.
Members – Log-in for Membership pricing
September 22-23, 29-30 & October 1, 2021
10 AM – 6 PM ET Each Day
November 9-10, 16-18, 2021
10 AM – 6 PM ET Each Day
Contact [email protected] for any inquires.